Monday, May 05, 2008

Don't they make drugs for this type of behavior??

I have had this ache in my back for weeks. The downstairs living room was on my last nerve. If things are not in an organized manner, I will lose my mind.

There were toys everywhere. I know, what an awful problem to have. But it was out of control. Matthew wanted his Dallas Cowboys, but could only find two. Sam wanted to play with his stations, but couldn't find all the pieces. Result = total meltdown of both boys.

I knew it was going to take a long time to sort through. We needed to get rid of the computer from the early 90's that was invading the computer armoire; I needed to get a few more bins; the excuses overflowed. But come Sunday....enough was enough!!!

I sat down in the middle of the room and just stared for a bit, then jumped in. Once I had a few things sorted together, the boys were excited that some of their toys were found and wanted to play.......Hold up, Wait a minute.....

Kurt could see my steam valve was about to explode. In true Daddy fashion, he said, just in the nick of time...."Boys, let's go to the pool". Order was restored to Mission: Organization.

4 1/2 hours later....the results.....



Every toy has a spot & has been labeled. There are a few baskets in the boys room that is full of hockey guys. A bucket full of hockey sticks, swords, light sabers, and other assorted weapons. Plus, a few other baskets around the room with all of Matthew's "Guys" & finally a basket of miscellaneous toys.

When the boys got back we all sat down and this is the conversation we had.....

Mommy: When you are at school, how many bins of toys do you get to play with?
Boys: One.
Mommy: When you are done with that one bin, do you get to leave it out and move on to something else.
Boys: No.
Mommy: What happens to the bin?
Boys: You have to put it away!
Mommy: Really? Wow, what a good rule. We are going to do that at home too!
Boys: OK, Mommy, can we play?
Mommy: Yes, of course, you can now find what you want to play with!!!

Then today, reality was confirmed from a conversation that I overheard....
Matthew: Sam, are you finished playing with your cars?
Sam: Yes.
Matthew: Well, you have to put your bin away before you can play with the blocks.
Sam: OK. And he puts the car bin away!!!
I think there was a little tear in my eye. Either that, or they knew I was in the laundry room listening. Either way, they know the newest rule and hopefully will follow it.....for a least a week!

No comments: